Monday, May 31, 2010

May

Dawson and I got home yesterday, from spending the month of May in Alaska. It was a busy month with bear hunters but fun at the same time! I dont have a lot of pictures from the month since I was in the kitchen most of the time and then the computer there does not work anymore so I was unable to get many of the pictures off the camera. (I left the camera there so Bill could use it!) Here are the few that I was able to bring home.


(Dawson playing)

One Saturday, I was busy cleaning the rooms and getting dinner started for the new guests that were coming in that evening. I was not able to "entertain" Dawson at all and he was basically on his own all day. He was so good! He stayed away from the water and just played. I looked out once to check on him and this is what I saw.





I wish I had a video camera, because he was talking to the rocks and chairs just like they were people! This even lasted for a good couple of hours!

One day Bill took a couple of the guys out fishing for black rock fish and they came in and this is what they had...



They got 2 King Salmon jigging for rock fish! They were vey lucky guys!! This one was the biggest- caught by one of the guests, Rhett, it weighed about 30 pounds and was 38 inches long!


They told Dawson to kiss the fish!


(Mike and Rhett with Rhett's King)

One night the guests were coming back to the lodge after a day of hunting and saw this just over from the lodge. Shaun- one of the dock boys for this summer- wanted to see how close he could get to it, so Bill and Shaun tried to sneek up on it. It doesnt sound like they got very close before they scared it away.



The morning we left, we flew out on the float plane to Petersburg. Shaun was coming home for a couple of weeks before heading back up there, and we were on the same flights. We started to take off on the float plane and Dawson was talking away about "Rob's house and boats" (the other lodge owner in Pt. Baker)and all of the sudden I feel the float plane really bumping along and pulling to the right. (Since I dont know how to describe it, it would have felt a lot like when you get a flat tire on a car. I am not sure how else to describe it.) I look up in time to see us headed for the rocks. The pilot, Rod (who is amazing!) could tell that something was wrong and so had started to slow down before we hit the rocks, so we didn't hit them too hard. Rod and Shaun immediately jumped out and was checking the plane out. Rod was really worried that we punctured one of the pontunes. Luckily noises carry very well in the bay and so Shaun yelled for Bill since he had already gone back up the dock. Bill came and got Dawson and I off the plane but they couldnt see any holes or water going in the pontunes. Rod taxied back to the dock but was very unsure of what had happened. He said that he has never had that happen before and if it is going to pull one direction, then it will pull to the left, not the right! Needless to say, we were a little scared and nervous to have to get back on the plane. Rod decided that it felt like the landing gear came down but he couldnt see it at all and didnt know why it would come down. He decided to take off and if he thought everything was okay, he would land and we would get back on. If he was still too unsure of what has wrong then he would go back into Petersburg and change planes and then come back for us. Rod took off and we followed in the boat. He landed a little ways out of the bay and said that he had figured out what happened! It was something to do with one of the circuits blowing or popping or something and so it had made the landing gear come down slightly on the right side, which pulled us to the right. I was relieved (as was Rod and Shaun I am sure) to know what was wrong and that Rod fixed it. We all got back on and took off again without any problems. It was a little bit of a nerve racking and scary experience! Luckily that was the only adventure on all of the flights!

Now we are home for about a month to get some playing in and then will head back to Alaska! It will be a busy month but packed with lots of fun!!

3 comments:

D, J, Dre and W.D. said...

Wow, sounds like a fun time! We're glad you made it home safe. When are you going back up to the lodge? Are you going to make it to the cabin over the 4th of July? I'll call you later. Just wanted to let you know we're glad you're home.

Rich and Sam Eldredge said...

I know that this is totally off of what you posted, but I seen that you have a list of blog background pages and another cute one is dotty dot dot. They have some really cute ones. Sounds like you had fun in Alaska!

Heather said...

that is so crazy. it would be so hard to get back on the plane after having that happen! glad everything turned out ok and glad you had a good May up there!