Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Jack Aaron Miller

Jack Aaron Miller was born last Monday, Feb. 7th. He weighed 8 pounds and was 19 1/2 inches long.



At my doctors appointment on the 31st, I was already dilated to a 4 so she wasn't sure I would last the next week but we arranged to be started on the 7th even though I wasn't due until the 9th.
On the morning of the 7th, I called into the hospital at 6am and they said that they were busy and trying to get to all the inductions but it would most likely be in the afternoon. So I went back to bed and around 10:30 I called again to see if it was going to happen that day and the nurse I got this time was a lot friendlier and said that the only way I wouldn't be started that day was if my doctor changed her mind but since my doctor was Dr. Craig it would still happen and probably be around 2. So I finally decided I better shower and get ready. At 11:30 the hospital called and asked if we could be there around noon, so the mad dash of getting out of the house started. Bill was in the shower, I had just gotten out, Dawson wasn't dressed and my mom was on her way down so we needed to call and see if Dawson could go play with cousins for a couple hours. Bill asked me why I didn't tell them we couldn't be there by noon, I told me no way! They finally called and said we could come, why would I tell them no now?!?
We finally got out of the house and made arrangements for Dawson and was to the hospital a little after noon. We got all signed in and they hooked me up to the IV by 1pm. (I was Group B Strep positive so I needed to get 2 doses of penicillin before I could deliver) I was all hooked up and then the waiting game begun. Since I delivered Dawson fast we had to wait to get as much penicillin in before they started me on pitocin, I was already dilated to a 5 and having some irregular contractions so they knew it wouldn't take much to get my contractions more consistent. So we hung out and watched TV and waited. At 2:55 (right before shift change)I was done with the first dose of penicillin and the nurse started me on the lowest dose of pitocin. At 3:20 my water broke and Bill went to find the nurse. (They had to figure out who my new nurse was since shifts changed at 3) My nurse finally came in and asked if I wanted my epidural since he was there giving another one. I said sure and by 3:45 I had gotten my epidural. At first the epidural wasn't working on my left side so they had me roll to my right side and then it took effect. Once the epidural was in effect everywhere (about 4:20) the nurse checked me to see how far we had to go and I was ready to push! I was sure glad that I had gotten the epidural when I had, otherwise I probably wouldn't have been able to get it and I would NOT want to deliver without the wonderful effects of the epidural! They called my doctor and Jack was born at 4:41pm! Since I was suppose to have the second dose of penicillin started at 4:30, I didn't get it at all so we had to stay in the hospital 48 hours so they could monitor Jack. I am so glad that I am blessed with easy and fast labor and deliveries!








(Finally able to go home!)



(Dawson and Jack together for the first time!!)

My mom was able to come and spend the week with Dawson and us! It was great to have her here and know that Dawson was well taken care of since he was not able to come up to the hospital at all because of the restrictions due to the flu and RSV. (no kids under 14 are allowed in the hospital right now to visit) Thanks mom for taking care of Dawson and us!

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Congrats Bill and Nicole! He is so cute. Also, I love the name that you chose.

D, J, Dre and W.D. said...

He sure is handsome! I'm excited to meet him!

Love you!

Talbot Family said...

SHeesh, its a good thing they start you. You would barely make it to the hospital in time! Congrats on the cute new family member. Hope Dawson is excited for a brother to play with! I love the name Jack. Hope all is good and you aren't to sleep deprived!!!

Jess said...

Congrats on your sweet boy! We love the name Jack here too! :) Glad everything went well.